Monday, July 29, 2013

Unity Color Challenge

Ok, so I missed the deadline to enter but honestly, I'm just happy to be creating again.

Unity Stamp Company posted this pretty free digi to use in their coloring contest. Of course I went with purples (I'm a purple freak in case you didn't know) and colored using Prisma pencils. Then the image sat for a couple of days. I came across a 6x6 stack at Michael's called Violet Leaf by DCWV. I had just cleaned them out of their purples and teals in cardstock so I knew I had to have this pack. And to my surprise as I was flipping through the stack I noticed some papers that worked well with my colors. Funny sometimes how things come together. I printed 2 images and fussy cut around the flowers and leaves that were colored, then "popped" them onto the black and white image. I added just a bit of color around the flowers for depth. The butterfly is Recollections, Michaels had a bunch of different packs on clearance for $1, love when I find things I love on clearance!

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope I've inspired you in some way, as I was inspired by all of the amazing projects submitted at Unity. And some Pinterest inspiration for the design. :)

Saturday, July 27, 2013

A DIY project...

Hey there! I've been taking it easy this summer with the paper projects and trying to get some things done around the house. It seems that every room in the house has projects I want to work on (thanks Pinterest). One that we recently worked on (notice I didn't say completed) is the hot tub room. I found these really neat rubber tiles at BJ's, we've been trying to find something we liked for years and I came across these a few months ago.

Thank goodness for a handy husband, he installed these which was really easy, mostly because I had nothing to do with it, but they are just laid down over the concrete and some were cut to fill in on the edges and around the tub.

I took to repainting the table and chair set that was rusting away in the corner, it badly needed a facelift so fun and funky was my goal.

Here's what the set looked like before we funkafied it. Verdigris with plain ol' white cushions. A bit outdated I'd say.

Here's my helper and favorite son (BTW, I only have one) putting a coat of spray on one of the chairs.

And tada, here it is all done! It's hard to tell but the base of the table is purple. I even whipped together the arrangement with some silk flowers and a glass vase I picked up at Hobby Lobby.

Here' a close-up of the teal chair with the funky reupholstery. I found this fabric at Hobby Lobby, it's a waterproof vinyl, perfect for a wet-from-the-tub-bottom to sit on ;)

With the confined space we decided to only put 3 of the chairs around the table. The back on the green chair was broken anyway so we decided to try something a little different and hang it on the wall as a towel rack.

My thoughts were to hang the chair against the wall sideways with the legs facing to the right. This way was my husbands idea and it works well for a towel rack, and also as an eye piercing head thumping tool, as he's found out twice now. I've since put rubber feets on the bottoms to cushion the blow.

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out, very fun and funky for sure. There are still a few small projects to finish in this space before I can call this room complete but tomorrow is another day and another chance to be productive! Thanks for spending a few minutes of your day with me today. :)